Recurrent Pregnancy Loss in Laguna Hills, Orange County CA
You may be diagnosed with Recurrent Pregnancy Loss (RPL) after losing three or more pregnancies clinically recognized pregnancies prior to the 20th week of gestation (excluding ectopic, molar and biochemical pregnancies). RPL is classified into two categories:
- Primary RPL – consists of repeated miscarriages in which a pregnancy has never been carried to viability
- Secondary RPL – a live birth has occurred at some time. Secondary RPL confers a better prognosis than primary RPL
Risk factors of RPL
Pregnancy loss is a significant negative life event and the repetitive nature of RPL may intensify the grief experienced. So it’s important to consider the psychosocial needs of couples faced with RPL, even as they try to carry the next pregnancy to term.
Each case of RPL is unique, with certain underlying factors that may be affecting the success of a pregnancy, including:
- Age of the women – the risk of pregnancy loss is lowest in women aged 20 to 35 years, while the risk increases rapidly after the age of 40.
- Stress is associated with RPL – however, there is no evidence that stress is a direct cause of pregnancy loss
- Smoking could have a negative impact on their chances of a live birth, and therefore cessation of smoking is recommended.
- Maternal obesity or being significantly underweight is associated with obstetric complications and could have a negative impact on the chances of a live birth and on the mother’s general health. Striving for a healthy normal range body mass index (BMI) is recommended.
- Excessive alcohol consumption is a possible risk factor for pregnancy loss and proven risk factor for fetal problems (Fetal alcohol syndrome). So couples with RPL should limit alcohol consumption.
Personalized Care for RPL
Determining the cause of RPL is a journey that can lead to answers and possible solutions. After a few questions and learning more about you and your partner’s medical history, your specialist will perform a physical exam and fertility assessment for both partners, and then guide you through the process until you find the best solution for your circumstances.
Please contact your fertility specialist in Laguna Hills, Orange County CA. We look forward to helping you find answers and possibly carry your pregnancy to a full term. .