Pre-Implantation Genetic Testing in Laguna Hills, Orange County CA
Pre-implantation Genetic Testing is considered an essential part of the In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) procedure. It actually refers to the three types of tests that may be performed on embryos during IVF. Pre-implantation Genetic Testing is primarily used to identify genetic defects in embryos created during IVF before transferring them to the uterus.
Types of Pre-Implantation Genetic Testing
As hinted above, there are three types of tests that are grouped into PGT, including:
- PGT-M – which refers to PGT-Monogenic/Single Gene Disorders and is used to test embryos for specific or single-gene disorders.
- PGT-A – which refers to PGT-Aneuploidy, and is used to screen embryos for sporadic chromosome abnormalities.
- PGT-SR – which refers to PGT-Structural Rearrangements and used for testing embryos for chromosomal abnormalities, as well as abnormal chromosomal positions and rearrangements.
Who can benefit from Pre-Implantation Genetic Testing?
Generally, every couple undergoing IVF treatment can benefit from Pre-Implantation Genetic Testing. The following individuals are more likely to get specific benefits:
- Women over the age of 35 years
- Women who have experienced recurrent pregnancy loss
- Women who have experienced repeated IVF failures
- Couples with a history of chromosomal balanced or unbalanced translocations or inversions
- Couples with specific chromosomal disorders
- Couples who are carriers of sex-linked genetic disorders
- Carriers of single-gene disorders
- Parents who have a child with a serious genetic condition and want to get pregnant again
PGT with Banafsheh Kashani, MD
At the practice of Banafsheh Kashani, we stay abreast of international medical innovations to ensure that our patients receive the best, personalized fertility treatments tailored to meet their unique needs. Our fertility and IVF specialist in Laguna Hills, Orange County, CA., recommends Pre-Implantation Genetic Testing during IVF to help couples have healthy babies.
We consider PGT as an essential treatment option for couples undergoing IVF for fertility reasons or for the option of having embryos thoroughly examined for genetic reasons. Book an appointment with our specialist right away.