Intrauterine Insemination Near Me, Laguna Hills, Orange County CA
Intrauterine insemination is one of the most potent procedures in modern fertility treatment. It is a form of artificial insemination that can result in natural egg fertilization and the establishment of pregnancy.
What Is Involved In Intrauterine Insemination?
Intrauterine insemination, simply called IUI, is a relatively simple fertility procedure. It involves the direct transfer of semen that has been washed and concentrated into the uterus through a thin catheter. It is normally done around the time of ovulation with the goal of maximizing the likelihood of conception.
When Do We Use Intrauterine Insemination?
IUI is applicable in a number of unique fertility treatments. Some of the commonest situations that call for this procedure include:
- Cases of unexplained infertility
- When a sperm donor is being used
- Mild male factor infertility
- Ejaculation dysfunction
- Hostile cervical mucus and other forms of cervical factor infertility
- Ovulatory factor infertility
- Semen allergy
- Endometriosis-related infertility
When Is IUI Not Recommended?
There are instances where we discourage intrauterine insemination. The procedure is not the right one for those with:
- Blocked fallopian tube
- Previous pelvic infection
- Severe endometriosis.
What to Expect During IUI
As hinted earlier, IUI is one of the simplest fertility treatment procedures. It starts with the collection and washing of semen to be used. During the main procedure, this is what usually plays out:
- The doctor attaches a vial containing the washed and concentrated sperm to the catheter (a long, thin, flexible tube)
- The catheter will be inserted into the woman’s vagina, through the cervical opening, and into the uterus
- The sperm will be pushed into the woman’s uterus
- The catheter will be removed, followed by the speculum.
Contact a Fertility and IVF Specialist
Intrauterine Insemination may not be a simple procedure, but it needs to be recommended and performed by a fertility and IVF specialist. Are you ready to speak with one of the best in Orange County?
Book an appointment with us immediately. Banafsheh Kashani, MD will be happy to meet with you and discuss your needs.